Spicy Roast Beef Sandwich
Bit of house keeping before we get to the recipe- assuming you didn’t just click “skip to recipe,” in which case, enjoy!
A friend showed me a new Chicago style Italian beef sandwich place in town, but they’re on the other side of the city and don’t deliver to me. So I had to make my own, but a little bit different (for laziness reasons).
Instead of shaved or shredded, it’s chopped. I talked myself out of getting a deli slicer and I was far too impatient to shave the roast by hand.
Instead of giardiniera I just chopped a red pepper and a cauliflower into my standard pickled jalapeno. It worked really well!
And finally, this has chipotle aioli on it.
Because I put that shit on everything
oh and gruyere.
- 2 lb roast beef I used my red wine braised 24H sous vide recipe (see above)
- 4 8in Baguettes sliced, almost through and buttered
- 200 g gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup chipotle aioli
- 6 large jalapeno pepper sliced
- 1 small cauliflower diced 1/2"
- 1 large red pepper diced 1/2"
- 6 clove garlic smashed
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup vinegar
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- Whisk together the waterm vinegar, garlic, salt, sugar until solids dissolved
- bring to a boil in a sauce pan, remove from heat and mix in the veg, stirring to fully mix
- Allow to cool, add to mason jars and refrigerate at least 24 hours
- Open a bun almost all the way, but not enough to break its back
- stuff with meat, top with cheese and broil for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is gooey and bun is toasted
- Spread the top with chipotle aioli, slice in half diagonally and serve (ideally au jus, see roast beef recipe above)