Spicy Roast Beef Sandwich
Bit of house keeping before we get to the recipe- assuming you didn’t just click “skip to recipe,” in which case, enjoy!
A friend showed me a new Chicago style Italian beef sandwich place in town, but they’re on the other side of the city and don’t deliver to me. So I had to make my own, but a little bit different (for laziness reasons).
Instead of shaved or shredded, it’s chopped. I talked myself out of getting a deli slicer and I was far too impatient to shave the roast by hand.
Instead of giardiniera I just chopped a red pepper and a cauliflower into my standard pickled jalapeno. It worked really well!
And finally, this has chipotle aioli on it.
Because I put that shit on everything
oh and gruyere.
The Scrambled Musings Of Robort, the Robot Dog
Robort doesn’t always know what he’s talking about, but he sure does have a lot to say about food. If you’re not also a robot, dog, or robot dog, it’s best to just ignore what he says and skip to the recipe
The Definitive Guide to Making the Spiciest Roast Beef Sandwich with Giardiniera and Gruyere
What Kind of Bread to Use in a Roast Beef Sandwich?
Some people prefer to use white bread, while others like to use rye bread. Some people enjoy the sweetness of challah or the nuttiness of sourdough.
The type of bread you use in your roast beef sandwich is really up to personal preference and what tastes good to you.
What Goes On A Typical Roast Beef Sandwich?
Roasted garlic paste is a must have on any sandwich. It has a sweet, rich flavor that will add a new dimension to the taste of your sandwich.
Roasted garlic is an ingredient that can be added to any dish and it will give it a new flavor. For example, roasted garlic paste can be spread on bread for sandwiches or on potatoes for roasted potatoes.
How to Make The Perfect Giardiniera For A Spicy Roast Beef Sandwich?
Giardiniera is a condiment that is usually served with Italian sandwiches and pizzas. It is a mixture of pickled vegetables, garlic, and spices.
Giardiniera can be made by combining mixed vegetables, vinegar, oil, salt, sugar and spices in a jar and letting it sit for at least one week before consuming.
The Top 3 Places to Get an Amazing Spicy Roast Beef Sandwich
The first place is called “Melt Shop”. It’s a chain that has locations in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. The second place is called “The Roast Beef Shop”. They have locations in New York, Philadelphia, and D.C. The third place is called “Nate’s Deli”. They have locations all over the country including California, Seattle, and Texas.
- 2 lb roast beef I used my red wine braised 24H sous vide recipe (see above)
- 4 8in Baguettes sliced, almost through and buttered
- 200 g gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup chipotle aioli
- 6 large jalapeno pepper sliced
- 1 small cauliflower diced 1/2"
- 1 large red pepper diced 1/2"
- 6 clove garlic smashed
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup vinegar
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- Whisk together the water, vinegar, garlic, salt, sugar until solids dissolved
- bring to a boil in a sauce pan, remove from heat and mix in the veg, stirring to fully mix
- Allow to cool, add to mason jars and refrigerate at least 24 hours
- Open a bun almost all the way, but not enough to break its back
- stuff with meat, top with cheese and broil for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is gooey and bun is toasted
- Spread the top with chipotle aioli, slice in half diagonally and serve (ideally au jus, see roast beef recipe above)