Why would anyone make this salsa, salsa
A friend brought me a bunch of hot peppers she grew, originally I was gonna put them in chili, but it’s too hot to have the stove on that long. So I made salsa instead. Feel free to sub in your own chilis to preference. More than anything I made this to see what would happen if I put 2 Ghost, 1 Scorpion, 1 white habanero, 1 jalapeno and 1 thai with seeds all in a single dish. YMMV depending on your pepper choices.
Why would anyone make this salsa, Salsa
- 28 oz tomato whole, skinned, with juices (I used San Marzanos)
- 2 green onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 large red onion roughly chopped
- 1 large onion yellow, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 ghost peppers roughly chopped, seeds included
- 1 scorpion pepper roughly chopped, seeds included
- 1 habanero pepper roughly chopped, seeds included
- 1 jalapeno pepper roughly chopped, seeds included
- 1 thai chili pepper roughly chopped, seeds included
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering
- Add the cooking onions (not red), season liberally with salt and sautee for 2 minutes til fragrant
- Add the garlic, peppers, and dry spices to the pot and continue to saute another 2 minutes or so. BE WARNED if you're using all the peppers mentioned in the ingredients you'll want good ventilation. Turn on your stove fan. open your doors and windows. This is gonna make you cough and cry.
- Deglaze the pot with the lime juice, scraping the bottom with a flat bottom wood spoon
- Add the tomatoes with juices, roughly break up the tomatoes and stir everything together
- Bring it to a boil on high heat, then cover and reduce to medium-low for 30 minutes
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the red onions, green onions and cilantro.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes then transfer everything to a food processor and pulse 4-5 times until it's your desired chunkiness.
- Serve with chips.