With a twist*, so don’t @ me, New Yorkers.
Chopped Cheese Sandwich
Servings: 2 Sandwiches
- Parchment or Wax paper
- 2 8" Sub Rolls or other medium crusty roll
- 1/2 lb ground beef 80/20 (medium) grind
- 1 large tomato sliced thin
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp hp sauce
- 4 slice american cheese thick, full fat
- 1/2 cup onion sliced
- 1 large hot Italian peppers de-seeded and chopped 3/4" x 1/4"
- 4 tbsp butter
The Seasoning (basically taco seasoning)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp celery salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- combine all the spices in a small bowl and whisk to fully combine
- Heat a large pan on medium heat, once hot add the ground beef, brown for about 5 minutes, breaking apart with a flat bottom spoon.
- When almost all the meat is brown add the peppers, onions, seasoning mix and water. Stir to fully combine and continue to cook another 3-5 minutes until onions being to become translucent and peppers soften
- While the meat cooks, split the buns and butter both sides of each bun, then broil on high for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, spread the top pieces with HP and the bottoms with mayo.
Building the Sandwiches
- Remove half the meat mixture from the pan and set aside, form the remaining meat in the pan into a pile the same dimensions as the heal of one of the buns.
- Top the meat with 2 slices of American Cheese, add 1 tsp of water to the pan and cover for 2 minutes until cheese has liquefied and melted into the crevices of the meat
- Lay down 2 sheets of wax paper, enough to roll each sandwich
- Build the sandwich on the wax paper: heel, mayo, lettuce, meat and cheese, tomato, top
- Firmly wrap the sandwich in the paper, let it sit another 2-3 minutes, then cut in half at a bias and serve in the paper. It's a loose meat sandwich, so wrapping it is key to keep everything in. Letting it rest in the paper also lets the cheese cool a bit which holds everything together better.
Calories: 945kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 81g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 1801mg | Potassium: 961mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3179IU | Vitamin C: 188mg | Calcium: 508mg | Iron: 4mg