Servings: 24 servings
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 300 ml beer porter
- 3 tsps dijon mustard
- 1 - 2 tsps sauce worchestershire (to taste)
- 400 g cheddar cheese old , shredded
- 1 baguette sliced diagonally into 24 slices
- olive oil
- 1 lb bacon
- 3 tomatoes roma , diced
- 5 green onion stalks, finely chopped
- pre heat oven to 400F
- lay out bacon slices in baking sheets and cook 15-20 minutes at 400F til crispy, then finely chop into bacon bits
- melt butter in a sauce pan on medium, once fully melted whisk in flour to create a roux.
- Add the beer, mustard and worchestershire. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat. Add cheese a handful at a time, while constantly whisking. Only add the next handful of cheese once the sauce has returned to being smooth.
- Adjust sauce flavour with pepper and Worchestershire as needed.
- Arrange the baguette slices (crostini) on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and broil til golden brown- a minute or less (pay attention to them!)
- Build your rarebits! Community style: Lay out some crostini , pile on tomatoes, cover with cheese sauce, add bacon bits and green onions. Single style: pile some tomatoes on each crostini, top with about 1 tbsp or more of cheese, bacon bits and onions.
These cheese sauce is also great for dipping pretzels!