Once again Huevos Rancheros proves it’s the GOAT breakfast. And not just because Queso Fresco is made from goat milk.
This is a hill I will die on.
If you can’t get chorizo, spicy Italian sausage is a perfectly fine sub for this use. If you want that chorizo smokiness with the Italian sausage season the sausage with chipotle powder or cumin, paprika and chili powder
The recipe calls for the sausage to be out of the casing and cooked already, because of the whole “weekday” part of this recipe. The goal is that the only cooking day of is the egg, so you can quickly assemble and eat. (Not recommended for eating on the go)
OH also, the primary flavour here is acid heat. I highly recommend pairing with a mug of coffee with warmer, sweeter notes- chocolate especially. My go-to is Alto from Barocco X Nino in Toronto.
- 1 large egg
- 2 4" corn tortilla
- 2 tbsp refried beans
- 1/2 link chorizo (50g) removed from casing
- 2 tbsp salsa verde
- 6 g feta cheese crumbled (ideally this needs queso fresco, but feta is fine and way easier to find.)
- cilantro chopped (optional)
- hot sauce or pico de galo, for serving (recommended)
- 1 tbsp crema or 1% sour cream
- De-case and cook the sausage, breaking it up thoroughly in the pan. Drain and transfer to a bowl
- Heat a small pan of vegetable oil on medium. Once shimmering, slowly add the egg, Cook uncovered for 3 minutes or until white sets to desired consistency.
- While the egg cooks, heat up 50g of sausage- about 1/3 cup
- Assemble! 2 tortillas partially overlapped, spread on the beans, add the sausage, then egg, then salsa, cheese, hot sauce, crema, cilantro
It’s marked vegetarian and non vegetarian, because you can sub more beans for the sausage or try my ground beef substitute the only downside of that is the mushrooms will have a much lower shelf life in the fridge, removing some of the convenience of this recipe.