Sweet And Savory Breakfast Sandwich
Literally the only good thing about the movie Birds of Prey was that bodega egg sandwich. I still had bun kabab on the brain so I decided it could do with a splash of something acidic and fruity. An easy, breakfast focused solution was to mix strawberry jam with a touch of my favourite hot sauce.
There’s only a couple major ingredients here, so quality ingredients will make a big difference.
- 6 in Ciabata bread halved horizontally
- 2 strip bacon ideally high quality and smoked
- 2 slice cheddar cheese medium or old
- 2 large egg
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce ideally vinegar based. I used Valentina
- In a large non stick pan on medium heat, Fry the bacon to desired doneness and set aside, leaving the fat
- Place the bread into the pan, cut side down and toast in the bacon grease- 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside
- While the bread toasts whisk together the jam and hot sauce in a small bowl
- Turn the heat to medium low, add a bit of neutral oil if all the bacon grease is gone.
- Fry the eggs over easy in the pan- about 3 minutes, then flip
- As soon as you flip the eggs, bring them close together and cover with the cheese slices. Add a splash of water to the pan and cover for 1 minute to melt the cheese.
- While the cheese melts place the bacon on the bottom bun, spread the jam on the top.
- Once the cheese has melted, pick everything up out of the pot on a spatula and place on the bottom bun. Top and wrap in wax paper. Cut in half to serve.