Spicy Jalapeno Margarita
Every year my friend hosts an annual spice party potluck (even Robort attends!) where we all get together, sample peppers then pig out on spicy food. I usually bring my pepper sauce and this year I’ve been getting into cocktails so figured I’d bring a spicy cocktail too.
- 750 ml tequila white, 100% agave
- 540 ml triple sec I use Cointreau
- 360 ml lime juice
- 6 jalapeno pepper seeds and pith removed (Keep!), plus more for garnish
- 40 ml simple syrup
- 2 oz Jalapeno infused Tequila
- 3 oz Jalapeno Margarita Mix
- ice cubes
- Put the pith and seeds from at least 2 of the peppers in the tequila and allow to sit for an hour or so, then remove. Depending on how spicy you want it you can add more pith and seeds and / or let sit for longer
- rough chop the jalapeno rinds and combine in a blender with the remaining mix ingredients. Blend on high for at least 30 seconds. You want the rinds to be as pureed as possible
- Pour the mix through a strainer into a container. Use a silicone spatula to press all the liquid through the strainer, leaving the jalapeno mulch (discard)
- When it's time to serve combine mix and tequila. Depending how fast you expect this to go, either combine with ice in the jug or serve over ice as needed. If the ice is in the jug it will melt and dilute the mix.
- If garnishing with jalapeno slices, remove seeds, but keep pith where possible.
- Combine in a shaker with ice, shake for 15s
- Pour into glass (salted rim optional)
This recipe is designed to work as a batch to go with a 26oz bottle of tequila- to make for a party. Here’s the ingredient ratios for a smaller recipe if you’re just looking to spice up your Taco Tuesday
- 8 oz tequila
- 3/4 cup triple sec I use Cointreau
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 oz simple syrup
- 2 medium jalapeno pepper
- Clean the pith and seeds out of the peppers, then put the pith and seeds into the tequila.
- Follow instructions above