Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Servings: 4 people
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 kg Oxtail bone in
- 1 large onion yellow, chopped
- 2 green onion chopped into 1-2" pieces
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp thyme fresh leaves
- 1/2 tsp paprika smoked
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper de-seeded and chopped small
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp curry powder Ideally a West Indian one, but any will do
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- salt and pepper
- 19 oz lima beans aka butter beans, drained
- 6 cups water
- Add the oil to a large crock pot and pre-heat on medium til the oil is shimmering, 3-5 minutes
- While the oil pre-heats pat dry the meat, then season liberally on all sides with salt and pepper
- brown the meat in the pot on all sides until deeply brown, about 2 minutes per side. Don't crowd the pot, you might need to do 2 batches. Once the meat has finished browning, remove it from the pot, leaving all the juices.
- Add the onions to the pot and saute, stirring constantly for 1 minute until fragrant
- add the green onions, garlic, thyme, all spice, Worcestershire, and paprika, stir to combine for another minute. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot with a flat bottom spoon to get all the fond.
- add the scotch bonnet pepper, tomato paste, bouillon and curry powder Stir constantly for 2 minutes until the tomato paste darkens and things clump together
- Return the meat to the pot along with 4 cups of water, bring to a boil on high heat, then mostly cover and cook on medium-low for 3 hours. Stirring and tasting every 30 minutes. When you stir the stew each time, you can top the water up a little bit if the meat is looking too exposed.
- With 20 minutes remaining in your cook time add the beans and any remaining water to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, cover completely and simmer for 20 minutes
- Serve stew over rice and / or with roti.
Calories: 892kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 89g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 275mg | Sodium: 568mg | Potassium: 830mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 292IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 14mg