Homemade Bagels Recipe by Raymond Selzer
Servings: 6 bagels
- 1 2/3 cups water warm
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp yeast
- mix together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and knead together for roughly 8 minutes straight
- Coat the ball with a thin layer of oil, cover the bowl with a dish towel and allow to rise for 2 hours in a warm, draftless area.
- Preheat oven to 475F
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts, roll each piece into a 6-7" long rope, then connect the ends to form a loop. Cover the bagels an allow to rest another 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add bagels to the water 3 at a time, let boil about 60-90 seconds. Then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Bake bagels at 475F for about 18-22 minutes or until they begin to brown.