I love love LOVE gyros. Unfortunately I live on the wrong side of Toronto so getting good ones is a bit of an ordeal. I got a vertical chicken roasting spit thing from my local kitchen supply store for a couple bucks and it works perfectly for packing the loaf.
- 1/2 onion
- 2 lb ground beef ( you cans 1 lb 1lbs
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- plum tomatoes
- feta cheese greek
- pita bread
- mix everything well by hand in a big bowl
- dump it into a food processer and pulse for about a minute until the meat mixture is tacky. This step is key and gives the gyro loaf its thick texture, if you donu2019t do this, youu2019ll just make meat loaf.
- (optional, but tastier) put the meat in the fridge for 1-2 hours
- Pack the meat tightly around the roasting spit thing (see above). If you dont have or want a vertial roasting spit thing, meat loaf pans will work too, but then you wont look badass as you saw the meat off the thing.
- Cook the meat at 325F for 45-60 mins or until the center is no longer pink (about 165F on a meat thermometer)