Grilled Piri Piri Chicken Sandwich With Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
Grilled Piri Piri Chicken Sandwich
Servings: 1 sandwich
- 1 kaiser roll or other decently crusty roll
- 1 medium chicken breast boneless skinless
- 1 large tomato slice
- 1/3 cup grated lettuce
- 3/4 cup piri piri sauce
- 1 slice habanero pepper jack cheese
- butter for the buns
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium roasted red pepper chopped fine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp fresh basil chopped fine
- Place the chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and hammer flat until it's larger than the bun
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a grill pan until sizzling.
- Brush one side of the chicken liberally with some of the piri piri sauce. Lay it in the grill pan sauce side down and grill until the bottom of the chicken whitens, 5-6 minutes. Don't move the chicken too often to check, or you'll ruin the grill marks- once the sides are white. Flip the chicken, brush with more sauce and continue cooking another 1-2 minutes
- Add the cheese to the top of the chicken and cover til fully melted. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest.
- Butter the buns and toast them on the grill pan til golden brown- 1-2 minutes.
- spoon some aioli on the bottom bun, add the lettuce, then tomato, then chicken and top with more sauce, then the top bun.
- Add all ingredients to a small food processor and pulse til smooth. Adjust to taste with more lemon juice, salt and pepper as needed.