So someone in /r/slowcooking mentioned cholent. I wasn’t familiar with it and googled- Oh! Something to dip delicious challah bread in! Now we’re talkin’ Turns out too that some of the best challah is from a bakery 5 minutes from my house! I was working all night so first thing in the morning I went and grabbed all the ingredients, threw them in the slow cooker then promptly passed out for 10 hours. When I woke up I had delicious stew! This meal is really cheap and easy, don’t let a lack of curly sideburns stop you from making this.
There doesn’t seem to be one particular recipe, it’s essentially a meat, potatoes, beans and barley stew. I replaced the barley with lentils and the potatoes with turnips so it’s slow carb friendly.
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stewing chopped into cubes 1 - 2 u2033
- 3 1 - 2 turnips u2033 chopped into cubes
- 1 540 ml lentils , drained cans
- 1 540 ml beans mixed , drained cans
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 onion large , diced
- kosher salt pepper ,
- 1/2 tbsp paprika smoked
- thyme for garnish
- ~ 750 ml water
- Add everything but the water to your slow cooker
- Pour in enough water to cover everything
- Cook on low for 8 u2013 12 hours