Servings: 20 nuggets
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- peanut oil for frying
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup tempura batter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup water
- Place all the chicken in a food processor
- Mix together the garlic powder, onion powder and salt, then add it to the food processor
- Process on low until the meat forms a single solid ball, 1-3 minutes
- spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, then press the meat ball into the tray to form a large 1/4" thick patty, place the tray in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm the meat up for easier moulding
- line another tray with wax paper, form the meat into 2"x1.5"x1/4 inch nuggets with your hands or nugget cutters. dip your hand / cutter into the 2 cups of water intermittently to prevent the chicken from sticking to things.
- Spread the nuggets evenly on the wax papered tray, then freeze for 90 minutes
- after 75 minutes, heat a pot of oil with about 2" of peanut oil to 325F.
- Combine 1 cup water and 1 cup tempura batter mix in a small mixing bowl, whisk til smooth.
- take the nuggets out of the freezer, dredge each in the flour to fully coat, then press into the batter. Use a skewer to transfer the nuggets from the batter to the oil to prevent finger marks in the batter.
- Fry the nuggets in batches for 1 minute at 325, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Bring the oil up to 375F and fry the nuggets in batches again this time for 3 minutes per batch. IMPORTANT: IF you are using vegetable or canola oil, your oil will smoke at 375F, you'll need to fry the nuggets below 350F for about 4 minutes.
- Serve with various dipping sauces (hot honey mustard, sweet Thai chilli and buffalo sauces are in my picture.)
Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 395mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g