Beef, Bacon and Guinness Pie
Beef, Bacon, and Guinness Pie
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 1 lb stewing beef cut into 1-2" pieces
- 1/2 lb bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 500 ml guinness
- 500 ml beef broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp HP sauce
- 2 rolls pie crust
- 1 1/2 tbsp english mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- In a large pot cook the bacon to a soft doneness on medium-high heat, 5-8 minutes
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, set aside and drain most of the grease, leaving 1-2 tbsp of grease in the pot
- Toss the beef in the flour and pepper, then add the beef to the pot and brown- 5-8 minutes
- Use the slotted spoon to remove the meat from the pot and set aside
- Add the vegetables and garlic to the pot and saute til the onions are soft, about 5 minutes
- Add the thyme and the Guinness and bring to a boil on high heat, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the brown goodness.
- Add the broth and HP and wait for the liquid to return to a boil.
- Add the meat and bacon back to the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered on low for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. The liquid should be lightly bubbling regularly the whole time. When it's done the ingredients should still be covered in the liquid, but it should be thick like a gravy.
- Preheat the oven to 300F
- Line a pie dish with 1 roll of pie dough and brush the dough with the mustard.
- Spoon the filling into the dough, brush the rims of the dough with the beat egg, then cover with the other roll of dough
- Press along the edge of the rim to seal the pie, cut an X in the center and brush the whole pie top with more egg.
- Bake at 300F for 30 mins, let sit for 5 mins then serve.
Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 149mg | Sodium: 1039mg | Potassium: 782mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3246IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 3mg